Polar Bears Show Signs of Mysterious Illness
So far, the field scientists have found hair loss on nine of the 33 bears they’ve captured. The bears have skin lesions on their head, neck and ears. Degange says they have found polar bears with similar symptoms since 1999, but the number of effected bears makes this year unusual...
Alaska Public Radio - www.alaskapublic.org
06 Apr 2012
Photo courtesy of USGS
Location: Beaufort Sea, Alaska, USA - Map It
View past story on the Digest's Disease News Map HERE
Despite Deadly Fungus, Frog Imports Continue
A clerk serving Cantonese-speaking customers at a cluttered market in San Francisco’s Chinatown reached into a tub of American bullfrogs.... The frog cost about $4....
Tests on the bullfrog by Raul Figueroa, a researcher at San Francisco State University, confirmed that it was infected with an invisible but virulent fungus. The chytrid skin fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, or B.d., is harmless to humans but may have wiped out hundreds of amphibian species. Two other bullfrogs that The Bay Citizen bought from other Chinatown markets also tested positive.
... Scientists and conservationists fear that the global trade could lead to the extinction of countless species of frogs and salamanders. Amphibians play subtle but substantial roles in California’s ecosystem, eating insects and feeding wildlife.
The New York Times - www.nytimes.com
07 Apr 2012
Photo courtesy of Adithya Sambamurthy/The Bay Citizen
Location: California, USA
OTHER WILDLIFE HEALTH RELATED NEWS
- Cholera outbreak kills more than 10,000 birds in California [Things could get worse due to flooding in Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge, experts fear] [View past story on Digest's Disease News Map HERE] [California, USA]
- Out, but far from over [Avian influenza research controversy]
- Spread of Deadly Bat Disease Fans Fears for Crops
- USFWS Awards $1.4 million in Grants for Research & Management of Bat White-nose Syndrome
- Rabies Report [According to the State Department of Health, more than 50 animals tested positive for rabies. We are close to surpassing last year's total of 60 rabies cases][Arkansas, USA]
- Texas Drought Blamed for Increase of Rabies Cases [Texas, USA]
- Beauty in the Beast: Exhibit Shows Off Animal Insides [reveals the muscles, blood vessels and weird insides of animal corpses]
- Outbreak, the Game [A new game designed to teach students the complexity of data generated by outbreaks] [Cited journal article HERE]