Brazil biologists investigate penguin deaths
Brazilian biologists are investigating the deaths of more than 500 penguins found washed up on the beaches of Rio Grande do Sul state. Autopsies are being conducted on some of the birds to determine the cause of death.
Researchers said the penguins appeared to have been well-fed, with no apparent injuries and no oil on their bodies.... Last week dozens of young penguins were rescued from beaches in Rio de Janeiro after straying far beyond their normal range
BBC News - www.bbc.co.uk
13 Jul 2012
Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil - Map It
The Ecology of Disease
If we fail to understand and take care of the natural world, it can cause a breakdown of these systems and come back to haunt us in ways we know little about. A critical example is a developing model of infectious disease that shows that most epidemics — AIDS, Ebola, West Nile, SARS, Lyme disease and hundreds more that have occurred over the last several decades — don’t just happen. They are a result of things people do to nature.
The New York Times - www.nytimes.com
14 Jul 2012
New case of CWD discovered in P.A. district
While there have been no new cases of swamp fever or Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) found in the province since May 25, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) recently announced that there has been one new case of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) confirmed within the past month.
It is only the second case of CWD found this year, but both have been found in the Prince Albert district – which stretches approximately from Spiritwood to the Manitoba border. This is one of the three areas where the disease is present in the wild; the others are in the northwest and the southwest parts of the province....The latest animal that tested positive was an Elk,....
News Talk 980 CJME - cjme.com
13 Jul 2012
Location: Prince Albert, Canada - Map It
More Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) News
>>>Chronic Wasting Disease not found in AZ deer or elk [Arizona, USA]
OTHER WILDLIFE HEALTH RELATED NEWS
- Brown pelicans dying from fish oil contamination; Humboldt nonprofits rescue 70 birds, more expected [Humboldt Co. - Map It ; Del Norte Co. - Map It , California, USA]
- [Kentucky] Hunters concerned as virus kills white-tailed deer population [Montana - Map It ; North Dakota - Map It , USA]
- 2 sturgeon found washed ashore off Lake Huron [ Fort Gratiot - Map It ; Lake Huron - Map It , Michigan, USA]
- Rain 'almost apocalyptic' for wildlife, says National Trust [United Kingdom
- Anglesey red squirrels seen in town gardens, say experts [Wales, United Kingdom]
White-nose Syndrome News
- Do Wild Bats Hold the Key to Understanding Human Tribal Behavior?
- Scientists stake out bat colonies to track a killer: White nose syndrome [Virginia, USA]