Crows Don't Digest Prions, May Transport Them to Other Locations
Crows fed on prion-infected brains from mice can transmit these infectious agents in their feces and may play a role in the geographic spread of diseases caused by prions, such as chronic wasting disease or scrapie.
...Kurt VerCauteren from the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and other colleagues, shows that prions can pass through crows' digestive systems without being destroyed, and may be excreted intact after ingestion by the birds. According to the authors, their results demonstrate a potential role for the common crow in the spread of infectious diseases caused by prions.
Avian botulism killing hundreds of loons
Dead birds are washing up along the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, among them, 300 loons.
Biologists believe the birds are being killed by botulism. The disease has been blamed in the deaths of many shorebirds in the Great Lakes region, but officials say it is rare to see this many loons affected.
OTHER WILDLIFE HEALTH RELATED NEWS
- Disease kills 103 deer at Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge [EHD][Michigan, USA - Map It ]
- US plan to sell Plum Island questioned in Connecticut
- Mystery of giant Australian cuttlefish decline [Courtesy of Australia Wildlife Health Network] [Australia]
|Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners. See all HERE.|
- CWD surveillance to continue in North Dakota this fall [N. Dakota, USA]
- Deer hunters brace for wasting-disease precautions [Pennsylvania, USA]
- Impact of deer that died of chronic wasting disease could hit 100 farms across the state [Pennsylvania, USA]
- [Harju has been dead nearly 60 silk tails - Translated article][Thank a fellow Digest reader for this one! Our news filters missed it!][Tallinn, Estonia - Map It ]
- Cause of Dove Deaths in West Texas Released [Pigeon Paramyxovirus (PMV1)][Texas, USA - Map It ]
- [Birds dying in the lagoon: Two birds died for unknown reasons in Walvis Bay - Translated article] [Walvis Bay, Namibia, Africa - Map It ]
- [Dozens of dead birds found on islands][View reports of unknown birds deaths in the news in Netherlands - Map It ]
- Nearly 30 birds were electrocuted in Sea Bright, health officials say [Sea Bright, New Jersey, USA - Map It ]
- West Nile infected bird found in Ross backyard, officials say [Ross Valley, California, USA - Map It ]
- Vets and Doctors Don't Usually Talk to Each Other. Zoobiquity Is Trying to Change That
- Corals and Food Security: Study Shows Nations at Risk